Inspired by traditional sewing baskets, Cestlavie Table by Gam Fratesi for Poltrona Frau is a modern and highly elegant collection of tables. The textural sensations of the saddle leather and the lightness of the metal design come together in an evocative and stylish visual synthesis.
Intricate processing showcases the leather culture and top-quality craftsmanship with which Poltrona Frau has always been associated. Skilfully handwoven straps of Cuoio Saddle Extra leather give form to the casing, one by one. Supported by a tubular aluminum structure, the Cestlavie storage basket appears to be suspended on slender, almost graphic, steel legs. The depth of the saddle leather and the clean metal create interesting light effects.
Cestlavie is a storage “basket” but also a side or coffee table. The top part, upholstered in Pelle Frau® leather, has a disk-shaped folding cover that provides access to the inside whilst also acting as a practical surface. Every detail is valuable. The interwoven strips of saddle leather are dyed tone-on-tone, also at the edges, using techniques typically associated with the finest small leather goods. The saddle leather is also refined on the inside surface with a transparent protective wax treatment. The galvanic-treated steel frame features a gunmetal grey or a burnished, blasted finish.
- The supporting structure is composed of oval-section aluminum tubing in the upper part and an internal reinforcing system comprising 12 molded aluminum rods incorporated in the saddle leather weave.
- Steel legs with molded die-cast aluminum joints connecting them to the supporting structure.
- Adjustable steel feet with protective felt pads.
- The basket is made from woven strips of 2 mm thick Saddle Extra leather with a pleated raw-edge seam. The inside surface of the strips is finished with a transparent wax treatment.
- The strips are attached and stitched by hand, with waxed thread, to a saddle leather disk at the bottom of the basket.
- The cover of the basket is closed using two semi-circular MDF panels connected at the center by a solid beech crossbar that acts as a hinge and enables it to be opened 180°.
- All the components of the cover are covered in tone-in-tone Pelle Frau® leather.
About Poltrona Frau
Known for its virtuosity with leather, Poltrona Frau represents a blend of expert craftsmanship, sustainability, and sartorial savoir-faire. Founder Lorenzo Frau founded the company in Turin in 1912 after seeing Chesterfield sofas in England and imagining their success in Italy. In less than two decades, Poltrona Frau was furnishing the most important interiors in Italy, including the residences of the Italian Royal Family.