A Nod to Mid-Century Design
An iconic, timeless design embodying a contemporary lifestyle, the Charles Sofa owes its success to the research and innovation that went into its creation and to its resulting Eames-inspired aesthetic.
Charles Sofa by Antonio Citterio for B&B Italia is a tribute to Charles Eames, the American designer, architect, and film director who sustained: “The details are not the details. They make the design”. This concept is enough to tell the story of Charles Sofa, B&B Italia’s longest and best seller. Its design strength shows in the details: the upside-down L foot and the slender raised base both confer a quality of lightness to the sofa.
A leading piece in contemporary lifestyle, Charles became a reference model in the world of design. Its light image accentuated by the essential design of the die-cast aluminum feet makes Charles a sofa with a decidedly contemporary look, a product of great formal elegance that goes well beyond current times and fashions. The spatial concept behind the project is innovative—a system that can be used to create new compositions, including two or three-seat sofas, sofas with a chaise longue addition, and a corner sofa. The line also includes a broad selection of modular elements to satisfy any furnishing need, including the most personal desire for comfort.
- Tubular steel frame with steel profiles
- Internal frame upholstery
- Bayfit® (Bayer®) flexible cold shaped polyurethane foam, polyester fiber cover
- (CHP – CH150P) shaped polyurethane of different density, polyester fiber cover
- Seat cushion upholstery
- (Residential) shaped polyurethane of different density, sterilized down, polyester fiber cover
- (Commercial) shaped polyurethane of different density, polyester fiber, polyester fibre cover
- Back cushion (CH48_C-CH72_C) upholstery: polyester fiber, typology: box style
- Die-cast aluminum feet
- Thermoplastic ferrules
- Fabric or leather cover
About B&B Italia
B&B Italia is one of the world’s foremost modern furniture companies, renowned for high-end designer furnishings. Founded in 1966 with the entrepreneurial vision of Piero Ambrogio Busnelli, B&B Italia represents the extraordinary convergence of design and industry—the expression of contemporary culture.