A NOD TO MID-CENTURY DESIGN
An iconic, timeless design embodying a contemporary lifestyle, the Charles Sofa owes its success to the research and innovation that went into its creation and to its resulting Eames-inspired aesthetic.
Charles Sofa by Antonio Citterio for B&B Italia is a tribute to Charles Eames, the American designer, architect, and film director who sustained: “The details are not the details. They make the design”. This concept is enough to tell the story of Charles Sofa, B&B Italia’s longest and best seller. Its design strength shows in the details: the upside-down L foot and the slender raised base both confer a quality of lightness to the sofa.
A leading piece in contemporary lifestyle, Charles became a reference model in the world of design. Its light image accentuated by the essential design of the die-cast aluminum feet makes Charles a sofa with a decidedly contemporary look, a product of great formal elegance that goes well beyond current times and fashions. The spatial concept behind the project is innovative — a system that can be used to create new compositions, including two or three-seat sofas, sofas with a chaise longue addition, and a corner sofa. The line also includes a broad selection of modular elements to satisfy any furnishing need, including the most personal desire for comfort.
- Tubular steel frame with steel profiles
- Internal frame upholstery
- Bayfit® (Bayer®) flexible cold-shaped polyurethane foam, polyester fiber cover
- (CHP – CH150P) shaped polyurethane of different density, polyester fiber cover
- Seat cushion upholstery
- (Residential) shaped polyurethane of different density, sterilized down, polyester fiber cover
- (Commercial) shaped polyurethane of different density, polyester fiber, polyester fiber cover
- Back cushion (CH48_C-CH72_C) upholstery: polyester fiber, typology: box style
- Die-cast aluminum feet
- Thermoplastic ferrules
- Fabric or leather cover
About B&B Italia
B&B Italia is one of the world’s foremost modern furniture companies, renowned for high-end designer furnishings. Founded in 1966 with the entrepreneurial vision of Piero Ambrogio Busnelli, B&B Italia represents the extraordinary convergence of design and industry—the expression of contemporary culture.